Monday, July 14, 2008

A Pincushion

I had a very interesting experience today. The lump in my left breast won me a trip to the surgeon's office for a breast biopsy. From a "it was worth it" prospective, I would not recommend this procedure except for the fact that it is the only way to conclusively rule out breast cancer. Basically they jab you with a needle (see image) to see if the mass is solid or fluid. If it is all fluid, then you are good to go and they drain it. Since my lump was only partially fluid I got to have extra jabs. Our very kind surgeon offered me the option of having the additional 5 to 10 "jabs" with or without numbing the area first (like doing it without anesthetic was even an option).

Now... the first jab was just a jab, but those last 5 to 10 were more like someone attempting to unclog a toilet with a plunger. It was up and down and side to side and in and out. Let me tell you, I don't know how in the world anyone could stay still enough to have that done without being numbed. So, after all the jabbing I get to wait 3 to 4 days for results (most likely Thursday). For my efforts I have a bunch of needle marks and a nice, big, purplish bruise. Lovely... just in time for the weather to warm up so I could actually wear a tank top.

No comments: