DC Trip Day 4:On day 4 we got an early start in an attempt to snag the tickets to see the Capital Building. We were up bright and early to get the tickets, then ventured around the Capital Building in an attempt to find breakfast. For those who have yet to venture to DC, there is very little food along the National Mall. After a short walk (20ish minutes) we landed at a bar which doubled as a breakfast diner, right across the street from the Georgetown Law School. After breakfast, we checked out the Supreme
Court. Since the court was not in session, we got to sneak a peek at the courtroom and mill about in the foyer where all of the busts of the Chief Justices are stored. We didn't have time to go into the courtroom for the lecture on the court ~ but after Constitutional Law I figured I could give Steve the quick and dirty version of the lecture on my own.We were able to tour the Capital Building, unfortunately with a group of middle school students who were on a field trip and not that interested in the history or architecture of the building. It was quite a sight to behold, especially the dome.
During our time in the lower levels of the building I caught a quick glimpse of John Kerry (Steve was actually trying to learn by reading the displays and missed the Senator's walk through the room). We rounded out the day by visiting the National Botanical Gardens and enjoying the hundreds of plants and blooming flowers. A small collection of the blossoms is included here - the rest can be accessed either at http://utoledo.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067517&l=a52b0&id=30116633 or http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_jeno/.
Since we had been doing so much walking during the early part of the week, we spent the afternoon reading and resting at the hotel. Steve claims I napped for at least two hours, but I don't know if I believe that.Highlights:
Getting to see inside the Supreme Court Chambers
Getting to see the Capital Building - including the whispering spot, where the accoustics of the room allow people to hear a whisper from another point across the room.
The beautiful Botanical Gardens
Naps :) And Slurpee's from 7-11

